Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mud City at Steel City

Hey everybody! This weekend I was at Steel City racing in the Pennsylvania mud. I think we all had a prettt nice time.

It rained Friday night and Saturday morning quite a bit. But riding in the mud actually wasn't that bad for me. I got out front in practice so I wouldn't have to worry about all the guys roosting me. I felt good for my races after that.

We were expecting a lot more rain, so the track guys cut the races down to one moto for each class. In my 450 B stock race I got a pretty bad start and fell in the second turn in some ruts. Not good. But I caught all the way up to 7th, which was prettt good. A bunch of guys were mad at the start of that because we were only racing one moto. Oh well.

My 250 B stock race went better. I got a 2nd place start and was in the top 3 until I stalled my bike! It was so muddy that we had to stop every lap in between two barrels to get our number plates wiped off. On the first or second lap I left my bike in too high of a gear and stalled it. Dang. So I charged back up through the pack. On the last lap I got back up to the 3rd place guy. He roosted me really badly, though, so I had to take my goggles off if I wanted to be able to see. So with half a lap left I charged side by side with him. He ended up splashing me twice more and cutting a turn. So I got 4th. But it sure was fun! I was the last moto. We finished a little before noon!

After more rain and bike washing it was time to do it again on Sunday. But this time the mud stuck a lot better and it was somehow even more slick. Practice went really bad for me with crashing 3 times. My races went better, though.

In my first 450 B mod moto I got a pretty bad start but passed people and dodged crashed guys to get up to 2nd place. I was feeling good up until the last turn. I missed my line and had to take a different one. That line didn't work out too good for me because I fell over. Uh oh! I had a really big gap on 3rd, but I couldn't get my bike started fast enough. We drag raced up the last hill, but he beat me with his momentum from the turn. So 3rd it was. The second 450 moto went all right, too. I passed guys to get to 5th. Those scores were good enough to get me a 3rd overall! Yay!

Collegeboy didn't go as well. Not even close. We were 2nd gate drop but I somehow forgot about it in the first moto. So I took off thinking that the other guys jus weren't ready. Two other guys in my class did, too. I felt good riding. After the race I found out i went with the wrong start. There was then an announcement that they wanted to redo the race because of some guys missing the race an others going with the wrong start. A lot of the riders were mad, though. They didn't want to redo it. So we didn't race it again. They put me in 15th place out of 19. Dang.

The second Collegeboy race went all right. Ok start, ok riding, ok finish (6th). Just nothing great. So I got 11th overall. Not good.

I think I can now call Steel City as being Mud City after this weekend. The track got really rutted and muddy. Oh the joy. Shane Cobb had some ok rides, too, and once almost took an ambulance ride. Now it's time to go back home. Bye! -Greg

P.S. I got to see some old friends from a couple years ago, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment