Sunday, April 1, 2012

Steele Creek GNCC race

Hey everybody! Today on April fools I raced my first GNCC race. It wasn't so easy, let me tell you. It was actually really hard!

The day before, Saturday, we finished preparing the bikes to endure the massacre that is GNCC racing. A 13 hour drive awaited us. Actually, it wasn't so bad for me and Norman: we got to sleep!

In the middle of the night we stopped at a sketchy place in Kentucky to get some waffle house food. Let me just say WOW. The girl who served us looked soooo tired and beat up. At the gas station there was a super obvious drug deal going on. Like so obvious that I even knew about it. That's Kentucky for ya...

We arrived at the track in the morning. Or should I say we arrived at the mountainous woods! There sure were a lot of people around. It was really beautiful, too.

Norman was leading his class for the first 40 minutes of the 2 hour race until bike problems left him walking back. Oh well.

My race started at 2 PM. That was interesting...

First turn: crash. A couple turns later: somehow my petcock was turned off. Bike died. Ok, not the best of starts. But I had a whole 3 hours left to go.

I caught back up to some guys and started passing. It was fun dicing in the woods! They take one line, I find a different line and get right in front of them. That aspect was really fun!

I also enjoyed the water crossing sections. We got to go under a low bridge during the race as well. It was weird seeing cars driving over the bridge as we rode under it.

The not so fun parts of the race were the crashes. I had five or six crashes... Oops. One into a mud puddle. One going up a tree-rooted hill. One going down a hill. One trying to squeeze through two close together trees (thank god for bark busters!).

I ended up somehow getting 8th in my class, 250 B. overall I'm pretty happy with that considering all my crashes. But it wasn't that good.

This race really made me enjoy water a lot more, especially during the race. Water was basically an energy drink!

Well, that's it from here in North Carolina. Our GPS says that we'll be home at around 6 AM.. Just in time for school! Yayyyy.

Ruts, bumps, logs, awesome uphills, Downhills, water, bridges, trees, falling off fork guard, DIRT.

-Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment